Random Post 2

Sunscreen is a key preventive tool, however, if you don't use enough or use it incorrectly, it is just not going to work. If used properly, you are leaving yourself open to premature aging (wrinkles and melanin deposits caused by sun exposure) or worse, skin cancer. 

Here're some tips stay safe in the sun:
  • Don't Wait Until You're Outside
    • SPF needs 20 minutes to sink in before your skin is completely protected from UV rays. If you wait, you might be wearing no sunblock at all for that first half-hour you are outdoors.
  • Never Rely on Makeup
    • While it may be tempting to skip the sunscreen step in your morning routine when the letters"SPF" are written on every other bottle you're picking up, don't give in. You would need to apply 14 times the amount [of powder] people normally use. The same goes for foundation—unless you want to slather on seven times as much as you would actually use to even your skin tone.
  • Keep It Fresh 
    • We all have that leftover bottle of sunscreen lurking in the medicine cabinet, but it's critical to start fresh each summer. "The active ingredients in sunscreens can lose their potency, so check the expiration date," says dermatologist David Bank.
  • Don't Wear Sunscreen on Cloudy Days
    • Seeing clouds in the sky can give you a false sense of security, but the truth is that the sun's UV rays still reach your skin you even when it's overcast. However, researchers found that there are up to 80 percent of UV rays can penetrate the clouds and damage skin. 

Comments

  1. Hi Hailey!

    I did not know SPF needs 20 minutes to take effect. I always apply it right before I go to beach. I bet you must be a master of skin care! Do you know how to treat acne scars? I have used all sorts of things on my face but none of them worked. Please let me know if you have some kinds of tricks that can get rid of my scars!
    ---Wei Zhang

    ReplyDelete
  2. I come from a family very prone to sunburn so my parents were strict as kids with sunscreen. I really struggled when I lived in Florida as I was always getting burnt! Sadly I have been skimping on using sunscreen recently. I have to take your advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hailey,
    Thank you for the great post. There is one of the nearly 5 million people treated for skin cancer every year in the United States. While it will never recur, no one wants to hear the word cancer. It's scary and unsettling. So it is better to know about how to stay safe in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hailey,

    Thanks for sharing these tips. I found them really helpful because I use makeup as sunscreen. Time for me to buy some real sunscreen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hailey,

    This is really helpful. I know that a lot of youtubers can use up a bottle of sunscreen in 3 months and I am very curious how could that happen because it usually takes more than half a year for me to use up one bottle. I always wonder if I'm applying too little but it feels very sticky if I apply a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Hailey,

    Great post--these tips are so important! My dad actually had skin cancer from too much sun exposure, so sunscreen use is something I'm really mindful of. So many people brush it off as "no big deal" because their skin tans instead of burns, but sunscreen use is so necessary for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Hailey,

    Thank you for the tips! My Dad, similar to Leylas, also has skin cancer due to not using sun screen when he was little. He sailed lasers up and down the coast of Canada and the US, and back in the 70's and 80's they didn't use sunscreen, nor have very good options. I am grateful for your advice, and ever since I was born my mom has made sure to cover me head to toe in sunscreen pretty much no matter what season it is!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment