Random Post
How will AI Affect the Job Market?
We are living in an era of advanced technology which is rapidly transforming our future. In fact, statistics say that 47% of all employment opportunities will be occupied by machines within the next two decades. I’ve been thinking a lot about Artificial Intelligence (AI) and wondered how it will threaten our jobs.
In 2013, technologists Carl Benedikt Frey and Michael A. Osborne published a research that tried to predict the kinds of jobs technology is likely to replace in the next few decades. According to the research, Middle-skilled workers, such as tax accountants, telemarketers and freight agents, were deemed most likely to be replaced by robots in the next few decades, while skilled workers such as scientists, healthcare professionals, leaders, entrepreneurs, writers and artists were deemed the most secure. The explanation behind this inference was simple, humans are the most productive at professions that require them to regularly interact with other humans, while machines replace them at such things as following patterns and executing routine work.
While there is a risk to jobs due to the AI, the good news is there are also a lot of new jobs opportunities that are getting created in areas like big data, machine learning, and cybersecurity. Moreover, there are other industries that have also started to look from the optimist's viewpoint that AI can save them a lot of cost and time, so they can generate more profit and pay higher wages to the employees.
Hi Hailey,
ReplyDeleteThat is also what I'm worried about especially as a future accountant. They say my job could be easily replaced by technology like artificial intelligence. I do not know where I will be ended up in the future with my accounting degree. I hope my major can still be useful.
--- Wei Zhang
Hi Hailey,
ReplyDeleteAI is coming, but not soon enough. Automated driving is not safe enough for all cars on the road. AI is not smart enough YET to replace some professional jobs. Thanks for a great post!
Hailey,
ReplyDeleteVery interesting read. It is something I have thought of frequently, especially due to Hollywood loving to exploit the idea of AI. I am interested to see when it becomes more mainstream how individuals will react. Only time will tell!
Hi Hailey,
ReplyDeleteAs an accounting major I was once terrified that I would probably be replaced in years. But as you said machines cannot interact with human and there's still a long way to go for the AIs. Thank you for the post!
Hi Hailey,
ReplyDeleteAI is such an interesting topic. In fact, my other business class was talking about how China will take over the AI market in the future. I agree that there's so much potential in AI and I'm excited to see how far it will take us to.